Sunday, August 16, 2009

Funny Side Up - A Miss-Invention!

We invented the “gentleman”. Its our concept. He is “charming”. He opens heavy doors and lighter ones. He offers to carry our coats. He makes “polite” conversation. He puts his coat down on puddles so we don't have to step on slush. He never forgets to “thank” us. He laughs at all our jokes. And today, thanks to all the “women are equals” thing, our gentleman – the concept we developed, nurtured, nourished so we can flatter and fatten our ego, is gone. Gone are the days where the guy would open the door, instead he probably expects some to be opened for him. I can no longer wait for a bunch of roses at my door! There are no people that would come to my rescue when my car doesn't start (partly because I do not start it). There are no volunteers to carry books or laptops. Its become such a mean, man friendly world. I'm almost beginning to think that “equality” was a guy's answer to the “gentleman”. And they have succeeded, to gently put it.
What ever happened to getting the car-door opened? What happened to the ever caring gentleman? He has been replaced by one that well, oh, is tiresome. I found myself asking the same question. After the works of the the legendary women like "Jan Austen" who tried to keep the tradition of the gentleman alive (bless her soul), how could he disappear so suddenly! The men have gotten their vitamins and have been donning thinking cap.
Equality. Thats what killed our gentleman.

No comments:

Post a Comment